To: All Students at UBC’s Vancouver campus
I want you to be aware of important changes to U-Pass, which take effect in September. These changes make U-Pass accessible to all public, post-secondary institutions in Metro Vancouver. For UBC, this expansion means that the original program will be replaced. The new program includes changes which are necessary due to TransLink’s requirements to limit the possibility of fraud and bring U-Pass in line with its other fare cards.
Here are the five big changes:
1. Each month, you will need a new pass.
2. You will not be mailed a pass.
3. Every month, you must pick up your pass at vending machines inside UBC Bookstore. Swipe your UBCcard at a machine which will verify eligibility and dispense your pass.
For September, pick up your pass starting August 25.
4. Your pass will not include your name or photo so you will always need to carry your UBCcard with you.
5. Your pass costs $30 per month as approved by student referendum.
Please visit upass.ubc.ca for details and a list of FAQs.
Associate Vice-President, Planning
P.S. Get your September pass by Aug. 31 to be entered into a draw for a $100 gift card to UBC Bookstore.