To: All Faculty and Staff at UBC’s Vancouver campus
In less than a month the campus will come alive as new and returning students begin classes. Imagine UBC will orient 5500 new-to-UBC, first-year students to campus and help over 1400 transfer students adapt to their new environment. Faculty specific programming will welcome back all returning students.
Note: Imagine UBC replaces all undergraduate classes on the first day, Tuesday, September 6th, with the exception of those classes that begin at or after 5:00 p.m. and meet only once per week.
Faculty and staff play an important role in welcoming incoming students and creating a memorable orientation experience. I invite you to volunteer and be part of Imagine UBC. To learn more about volunteer opportunities and other Orientation activities please visit: http://www.involvement.ubc.ca/orientations-2011/.
I would also like to highlight some key initiatives that welcome and orient the newest members of the UBC community, including:
– UBCevents, a website where all students can access their personalized Orientations schedule, get information on the events planned for the day, as well as post comments and questions;
– Ask Me campaign, an initiative to help all faculty and staff accurately answer student questions during the first weeks of the term;
– GALA and Jumpstart, programming that supports 1300 new international students in their academic, social and, cultural transition to UBC and Canada;
– Parent Orientations, three sessions specifically for parents of international, residence, and commuter students; and,
– Faculty and staff volunteers, an opportunity for faculty and staff to be part of Imagine UBC.
Thank you for your commitment to students and their families as we welcome them to our community. I look forward to seeing you at Imagine UBC.
Senior Director, Student Development & Services