This message is sent on behalf of the Managing Director, UBC Infrastructure Development.
To: All students, faculty and staff at UBC’s Vancouver campus
The University is currently making significant investments in new and upgraded infrastructure to support Place & Promise goals. Construction activity is very high right now as we push for completion of key projects for the start of the school term on September 4th.
The most extensive and noticeable projects currently underway are the Public Realm upgrades on University Boulevard, Main Mall and Memorial Road which are being undertaken in synergy with the Steam-to-Hot Water Conversion project. We are endeavouring to complete as much of this work as possible before September 4th but given the significant scope of work there will be some carry-over of construction into the Fall.
The following is a summary of Public Realm projects currently in progress with expected completion dates:
1) University Blvd (Wesbrook Mall to East Mall) – The new trolley bus loop will be operational starting August 28 with bus stops located on the south side of University Blvd. Bus shelter pads will be completed before September 4th, with installation of the shelters taking place in October when they arrive from the manufacturer.
2) University Blvd (East Mall to Main Mall) – Walkways and intersection with Main Mall will be complete by September 4th. Work on landscape installation and water feature startup will continue through September for completion in early October.
3) Main Mall (Crescent Rd to Memorial Rd) – This area is now complete except for a small section between Memorial Rd and Koerner Plaza which will be finished by the end of September.
4) Main Mall (University Blvd to Agronomy Rd) – West pathway is now complete for pedestrian use. East pathway, centre grass median and Fairview Commons will be completed in October. The areas in front of the Beaty Biodiversity, Kaiser, MacLeod, ICICS/CS, Forward and Barn Daycare buildings will have particularly active construction in September.
5) Memorial Rd (East Mall to Main Mall) – North walkway now complete. South walkway to be completed in early October.
Other significant construction projects currently underway include the New Student Union Building on East Mall north of University Blvd (Aug 2014 completion), Ponderosa Commons Phase 1 at West Mall & University Blvd (Aug 2013 completion) and the Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health on Wesbrook Mall in front of the UBC Hospital (Oct 2013 completion).
We are pleased to report that the new Earth Sciences and Pharmaceutical Sciences buildings will be opened for classes in September.
Our contractors will ensure that construction sites are clearly delineated and safe access is provided to all campus buildings. Temporary detours and sidewalk/road closures will be required to facilitate construction. For your safety we ask that you follow the direction of safety personnel and posted signage when walking or driving near construction sites.
Thank you for your patience during this period of intense construction. To learn more, a regularly updated summary of all campus construction projects is provided on the Infrastructure Development website: