To: Faculty, staff and students in Vancouver and the Okanagan
If you are a manager of staff whose work is not computer-based, please print this email and display it in a common work area for them to review.
UBC’s current Chancellor, Lindsay Gordon, is eligible for reappointment to a second three-year term, effective June 30, 2017. The alumni UBC Board of Directors, in consultation with the UBC Board of Governors, has agreed that Mr. Gordon should be considered for reappointment.
The Chancellor is the titular head of the university. He or she is chair of the Convocation and a member of the Board of Governors, Senates, and Council. The Chancellor confers degrees granted by UBC and represents the university in many formal occasions. The Chancellor is also a member, ex officio, of the Board of Directors of alumni UBC. The position of Chancellor is entirely voluntary.
The alumni UBC Board of Directors has approved, in consultation with the chair of the Governance Committee of the UBC Board of Governors and the chair of the Council of Senates Executive Committee, the process for the reappointment of the Chancellor. A committee has been formed to implement this process (committee members are listed below).
To assist the committee, UBC faculty, staff, students and alumni are encouraged to share their thoughts regarding Mr. Gordon’s reappointment. A position description and outline of the reappointment process can be found at https://www.alumni.ubc.ca/2017/news/call-for-feedback-chancellor-reappointment/. This web page also contains an online form where you can provide feedback. All comments must be submitted by April 26, 2017.
Thank you for your thoughtful consideration. If you have any questions, please contact Jeff Todd, Executive Director, alumni UBC and Associate Vice President, Alumni who is the secretary for the committee (604-827-3014 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Chair, alumni UBC Board of Directors
Chancellor Reappointment Committee members:
- Faye Wightman, Chair, alumni UBC Board of Directors; Chair, Chancellor Reappointment Committee
- Alan Ehrenholz, President-elect, Alma Mater Society
- Shelina Esmail, Member, alumni UBC Board of Directors
- Darran Fernandez, Associate Registrar and Director, Enrolment Services; Member, Board of Governors
- Dr. Susan Forwell, Department Head and Associate Professor, Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy, Faculty of Medicine
- Celeste Haldane, Chair, Governance Committee, Board of Governors
- Dr. Paul G. Harrison, Associate Dean, Student Services, Faculty of Science; Chair, Executive Committee, Council of Senates and Chair of the Senate Academic Policy Committee, UBC Vancouver
- Ross Langford, Member, alumni UBC Board of Directors
- Dr. Marianne Legault, Associate Dean, Undergraduate Studies Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies, UBC Okanagan; Chair, Senate Admissions and Awards Committee, UBC Okanagan
- Patricia Mohr, Member, alumni UBC Board of Directors
- Rahim Moloo, Co-chair, alumni UBC Advisory Council
- Jeff Todd, Executive Director, alumni UBC — Secretary to the Committee (non-voting)
- Julie Wagemakers, Executive Director, President’s Office (President’s designate)