If you are a manager of staff whose work is not computer-based, please print this email and display it in a common work area for them to review.
To: Faculty and staff in Vancouver and the Okanagan
I am writing to inform you that a global search for a suitable candidate for the position of Vice-President, Research is now underway.
The Vice-President, Research will report to the President and provide leadership in the development and administration of research at UBC. This role will also be responsible for the promotion of interdisciplinary research programs at both UBC Vancouver and UBC Okanagan. The Vice-President, Research will be an articulate, credible advocate for the full range of the university’s research, and will establish and maintain effective liaison with external funding agencies, business, industry, government, and the broader community.
In accordance with UBC Policy #18, I have established a committee to support this search process and prepare a recommendation of a suitable candidate for the position. The committee consists of:
- Santa J. Ono, Chair
- Michael Treschow, Board of Governors
- Alan Shuster, Board of Governors
- Terry Zhang, Board of Governors
- Matthew Evenden, Faculty of Arts
- Jean Shoveller, Faculty of Medicine
- Stephen Foster, Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies
- John-Paul Heale, University-Industry Liaison Office
- Philip Barker, Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences
- Louise Nelson, Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences
- Lisa Ritland, Graduate Student
- Haibo Fong, Graduate Student
A member of the President’s Office staff will act as non-voting secretary to the committee.
The search committee invites you to provide feedback on the draft position description and candidate profile by March 3, 2017. The profile can be found at http://president.ubc.ca/files/2017/02/Executive-Brief-UBC-VPR-For-Community-Feedback.pdf
We also encourage you to send in nominations or suggestions of candidates for the position. All feedback and suggestions should be submitted via our search consultants at email@example.com, and will be treated confidentially.
Professor Santa J. Ono
President and Vice-Chancellor