If you are a manager of staff whose work is not computer-based, please print this email and display it in a common work area for them to review.
To: Faculty and staff in Vancouver and the Okanagan
I wish to announce that UBC has embarked on a global search for a new Vice-President, External Relations.
The Vice-President, External Relations reports to me and provides strategic leadership to the External Relations portfolio. As a member of the UBC Executive, the role has responsibility for providing strategic leadership for various communications functions, broad-based engagement with external communities and campus planning functions.
This position also supports the university in accomplishing the vision, commitments, goals, and actions as set out in the Strategic Plan: Shaping UBC’s Next Century.
In accordance with UBC Policy #34, I have established a committee to support this search process and prepare a recommendation of a suitable candidate for this position. The committee consists of:
- Santa Ono, President and Vice-Chancellor (Chair)
- Chaslynn Gillanders, Board of Governors
- Charles Menzies, Board of Governors
- Kevin Smith, Board of Governors
- Deborah Buszard, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Principal, UBC Okanagan
- Rickey Yada, Dean, Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Peter Arthur, Professor, Faculty of Education
- Merje Kuus, Professor, Faculty of Arts
- Max Holmes, Vice-President Academic AMS
- Shahd Shaker, Vice-President Internal UBCSUO
- Kate Hunter, Director, Internal Communications
- Terry Lavender, Manager, Communications, President’s Office
- Michael White, Associate Vice-President, Campus and Community Planning
- Adriaan de Jager, Associate Vice-President, Government Relations and Community Engagement
A member of the President’s Office staff will act as non-voting secretary to the committee. We are supported in this search by Caldwell search consultants.
I wish to take this opportunity to once again thank our outgoing Vice-President, External Relations, Philip Steenkamp, who recently announced that he was resigning from UBC to take up the post of President and Vice-Chancellor at Royal Roads University.
I want to acknowledge and thank Philip for his command of the role and wish him the best, as a new president.
Professor Santa J. Ono
President and Vice-Chancellor