If you are a manager of staff whose work is not computer-based, please print this email and display it in a common work area for them to review.
Please note: This message is sent on behalf of the UBC Alumni Association (alumni UBC).
Earlier this year, we announced that the current UBC Chancellor, Lindsay Gordon, will be stepping down when he completes his term next spring.
During his time as Chancellor, Mr. Gordon has provided excellent leadership, as the chair of the Convocation and a member of the Board of Governors, Senates and alumni UBC. He also served as co-chair of UBC’s start an evolution campaign that successfully raised $1.6 billion and engaged 132,000 alumni.
In accordance with Part 5 Section 11 of the University Act, the UBC Board of Governors will appoint the next Chancellor on nomination by the UBC Alumni Association (alumni UBC) and after consultation with the Council of Senates. A search committee has been formed which comprises:
- Ross Langford, Chair, alumni UBC Board of Directors; Chancellor Search Committee Chair
- Barbara Anderson, Director, alumni UBC Board of Directors
- Shelina Esmail, Director, alumni UBC Board of Directors
- Michael Korenberg, Chair, UBC Board of Governors
- Nicole Udzenija, Member, UBC Board of Governors; Director of Strategic Initiatives, Office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Principal, UBC Okanagan
- Santa J. Ono, President and Vice-Chancellor
- Paul Harrison, Chair, Senate Academic Policy Committee; Department of Botany, UBC Vancouver
- Rickey Yada, Dean and Professor, Faculty of Land and Food Systems, UBC Vancouver
- Marny Point, Lecturer, First Nations and Endangered Languages program; Urban Program Coordinator, Indigenous Teacher Education Program (NITEP), UBC Vancouver
- Riley Ty, undergraduate student, Faculty of Science, UBC Vancouver
- Andrew Pipke, undergraduate student, Faculty of Applied Science, UBC Okanagan
- Shawna Narayan, graduate student, Faculty of Medicine, UBC Vancouver
- Lauren Casey, Manager, Indigenous Initiatives, Ch’nook Indigenous Business Education, UBC Sauder School of Business, UBC Vancouver
- Roger Wilson, Director, Health and Wellness, UBC Okanagan
The Chancellor is the titular head of the university. She or he is chair of the Convocation and a member of the Board of Governors and Senates. The Chancellor confers degrees granted by UBC and represents the university in many formal occasions. The Chancellor is also a member, ex-officio, of the Board of Directors of alumni UBC. The position of Chancellor is entirely voluntary.
To assist the search committee in their efforts, we would appreciate input from interested faculty, staff, students and alumni on the following questions:
- What do you see as some of the key opportunities and challenges ahead for the Chancellor in the coming years?
- What experience and personal qualities would you want an ideal candidate to bring to this role?
- Any other comments that might be useful to the committee?
- Any suggestions of potential candidates for this role?
Please email your comments by November 6, 2019, to Boyden Executive Search at email@example.com. All responses will be kept confidential.
I strongly encourage you to participate in this process. Additional information can be found at: https://bog.ubc.ca/?page_id=13037.
Chair, alumni UBC Board of Directors
This message was sent to faculty and staff and students in Vancouver and the Okanagan.
UBC Broadcast is used to communicate time sensitive, organization-wide information to faculty, staff and students. Learn more