If you are a manager of staff whose work is not computer-based, please print this email and display it in a common work area for them to review.
Beginning next month, you may notice some changes to your net pay as a result of our transition to Workday.
For the most part, these changes are minor, and reflect the fact that Workday allows us to calculate tax rates and benefit premiums more accurately, and make deductions in a more timely manner. As a result, while your salary/hourly pay rate, your benefits coverage and the total amount of income tax you pay will not change, the amount you are paid each payday may be different.
In addition, if you are paid hourly, your paydays will change from the 8th and the 23rd of each month to the 15th and last day of each month. This new payment schedule will align with those who are paid on salary.
These changes will take effect from November 1, 2020 and will be reflected on the November 13 pay day (as the 15th falls on a weekend).
Here’s a summary of the changes for faculty and staff:
- If you are enrolled in group benefits, you will have your employee-paid premiums split in half and deducted twice per month instead of once per month.
- If you are paid on salary and enrolled in basic life insurance, you will see your basic life premiums calculated based on coverage amount instead of salary.
- If you have more than one position at the university, the amount you are paid each payday may change due to more accurate income tax calculations and payroll deductions. You will also receive one pay deposit per payday instead of multiple pay deposits.
- If you are in a low tax bracket, the amount you are paid each payday may change due to more accurate income tax calculations and payroll deductions.
For full details about these changes, please visit the Workday Updates for Staff and Faculty page on the HR website https://hr.ubc.ca/working-ubc/workday-updates-staff-and-faculty.
If you have any questions about these changes, please contact your respective HR Advisor/Associate:
- UBC Vancouver: https://hr.ubc.ca/contact/contact-advisory-services
- UBC Okanagan: https://hr.ok.ubc.ca/contact
Vice-President, Human Resources
Vice-President, Finance and Operations
This message was sent to faculty and staff in Vancouver and the Okanagan.
UBC Broadcast is used to communicate time sensitive, organization-wide information to faculty, staff and students. Learn more