If you are a manager of staff whose work is not computer-based, please print this email and display it in a common work area for them to review.
In April, I announced that Peter Smailes, Vice-President, Finance and Operations, was leaving UBC to take up a new opportunity. I have now launched a search for a new Vice-President, Finance and Operations, and am seeking your views on the qualities you’d like to see in this appointment.
The Vice-President, Finance and Operations, reports to the President and provides strategic leadership to the Finance and Operations portfolio — to accomplish the vision, commitments, goals, and actions of the university’s Strategic Plan: Shaping UBC’s Next Century.
Responsibilities include oversight of the university budget, treasury and operations, including Workday Finance, on both Vancouver and Okanagan campuses, as well as overseeing the relationship with organizations such as the UBC Investment Management Trust and UBC Properties Trust.
In accordance with UBC Board Policy AP14, I have established a committee to support this search process and recommend a suitable candidate for the position. The committee consists of:
- Santa Ono, President and Vice-Chancellor (Chair)
- Azim Lalani, Governor
- Jessie Dusangh, Governor
- Gage Averill, Provost and Vice-President, Academic pro tem, UBC Vancouver
- Meigan Aronson, Dean, Faculty of Science, UBC Vancouver
- Kin Lo, Senior Associate Dean, Students, Sauder School of Business, and Senator
- Gino DiLabio, Dean, Irving K. Barber Faculty of Science, UBC Okanagan, and Senator
- Eshana Bhangu, President, Alma Mater Society (AMS)
- Vrushank Kekre, Vice-President Finance and Administration, Students’ Union UBC Okanagan (SUO)
- Clara Ng, Assistant Dean, Operations and Strategic Initiatives, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Jennifer Sanguinetti, Managing Director, Infrastructure Development, UBC Facilities
- Rob Einarson, Associate Vice-President, Finance and Operations, UBC Okanagan
- Rae Ann Aldridge, Executive Director, Safety & Risk Services
- Julie Wagemakers, Executive Director, Office of the President (Secretary)
To assist the search committee in their efforts, we would appreciate input from interested faculty, staff and students on the following questions:
- What do you see as some of the key opportunities and challenges ahead of the Vice-President, Finance and Operations, in the coming years?
- What experience and personal qualities would you want an ideal candidate to bring to the role?
- Any other comments that might be useful to the committee?
- Any suggestions of potential candidates for this role?
To share your views, please email any comments by July 15, 2022 to email@example.com. All responses will be kept strictly confidential.
Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Santa J. Ono
President and Vice-Chancellor
This message was sent to faculty, staff and students in Vancouver and the Okanagan.
UBC Broadcast is used to communicate time sensitive, organization-wide information to faculty, staff and students. Learn more